Equity Movement Affairs Commission
In order to foster effective, inclusive learning environments, the Equity Movement Affairs Commission seeks to provide a voice, advocacy, and support for students and teachers of color while raising awareness about issues of diversity, race, and culture within the Manchester Public School District.
Our goals are to:
- Mentor students of color interested in education.
- Recruit and retain teachers of color.
- Support teachers of color in our union and our schools.
- Build a network for communication that connects to resources at the local, state, and federal level.
- Provide a platform for open discussion to foster conversations about diversity, race, and culture regarding issues that affect teachers and students of color.
- Act as a change agent to advocate for equitable education and social justice for all students and teachers with a focus on providing a forum for learning about those who may have been marginalized by the current education system.
2019 – 2020 Meeting Schedule
Please feel free to bring 1 or 2 other MEA members to each meeting!
We welcome all members to participate in any way that works. There are three focus points of our work: (1) Empowerment through Color-In-Sight Workshops, (2) Mentoring, Recruitment and Retention, and (3) District Discipline Policy Review. If you feel passionate about any of these three focuses, please sign up to become a part of our team.